From August 15 - December 15, 2010, I will be working as an architecture intern with Engineering Ministries International in Colorado Springs, CO. I will be helping to design a girls orphanage in Sudan, so I have the great opportunity to travel to Juba, Sudan for a couple weeks to work on the project there too! I'm so excited for this big adventure that God has me on for these next few months and I've created this blog to share that excitement with you! Thanks so much for visiting, your encouragement and support is always appreciated!

Sunday, August 15, 2010

The Springs

I made it to Colorado Springs!
Laramie, Wyoming
Aaron and I arrived in “the Springs” on Friday afternoon after spending Thursday night and Friday morning with my friend Dave in Boulder. We also got to get lunch with Aaron’s friend, Calla, in Laramie, WY, on Thursday on our way to Colorado. It was really great to have the flexibility to stop and see friends on our way down. It broke up the drive time and made the trip more eventful. By the time Friday rolled around, though, I think both of us were ready to be settled in Colorado Springs!

I’m happy to report that we only had one convertible-top-down-on-the-highway casualty: the maps flew out of my hands about half an hour from the Springs. Thankfully, we didn’t need them for much by then and I had my phone to direct us around the city once we got here. But other than those (which were a few pieces of google-maps print outs), we didn’t lose a thing!
I also got wicked sunglasses and jorts (jean-shorts) tans.

I have two roommates here, Lindsay & Melissa, both are EMI interns as well. Lindsay is my direct roommate, and she is an interior design graduate from Louisiana State University. Melissa is a civil engineering graduate from Denver (but originally from St. Louis, MO). So far we all get along great! Haha, that’s easy to say after only spending one night here together, but I honestly think we will live together well.

Today is technically my first day on the job with EMI (on a Sunday!) That’s because today we head out for a weeklong orientation/retreat at a resort called The Hideaway. It’s only a half hour north of CO Springs, and all EMI staff and interns (from all the offices—around the globe!) will be there. I’m excited to finally meet the rest of our CO Springs staff, but also to meet the teams from other offices as well. We get back to the Springs on Friday, and then start the regular work week next week.

I also just uploaded some more pictures on Flickr (link on right), but here are a few from our road-trip extravaganza!

Stopped by Mount Rushmore

Oregon Trail marker!
"Saab-y" got pretty dirty in South Dakota

No comments:

Post a Comment