From August 15 - December 15, 2010, I will be working as an architecture intern with Engineering Ministries International in Colorado Springs, CO. I will be helping to design a girls orphanage in Sudan, so I have the great opportunity to travel to Juba, Sudan for a couple weeks to work on the project there too! I'm so excited for this big adventure that God has me on for these next few months and I've created this blog to share that excitement with you! Thanks so much for visiting, your encouragement and support is always appreciated!

Saturday, September 11, 2010

Another eventful week & beautiful weather

This week was a short work-week, but that doesn't mean we weren't busy! The directors of all the eMi offices were in town for the Director's Conference, so Tuesday night we went to an office & directors barbecue at a local park. It was really interesting to hear about the dynamics of the other offices--how big or small they are, the way God has been blessing them and the challenges they face in their different locations. I might take a couple of them up on their invitation to visit their offices in the future, too!
I've had a steady stream of work coming in from my boss in the other office, mostly making adjustments to CAD drawings of a previous project and studying up on the ministry we will be working with in Sudan. I've also started trying to learn Arabic. Thankfully, the office has a set of Arabic language CDs and a co-worker was nice enough to lend me his books on Egypt and learning Arabic.
The office was pretty empty on Thursday and Friday, due to the director's conference and a co-worker's wedding. Friday morning we had a really moving worship and prayer time in which we prayed over the directors of the other offices, and over our CEO who was having surgery that day. We also served at the soup kitchen, Marian House, like we do every Friday. I really enjoy this time of the week because the more we work there, the more we build relationships with both the Marian House staff and the regulars who eat there.
4-Nation Dance Party (clockwise from top left: UK, COS, Nelly Video, Costa Rica, Canada)
At the end of the day on Friday, since there were only interns in the office and most people had finished their work for the day, we TokBox'ed the interns in the UK, Canada and Costa Rica. We put on some music and had what we call a 4-Nation dance party! It was so fun to see our friends at the other offices!

As for our social lives here, we've been watching A LOT of football! We went to the Air Force Academy game last weekend, as well as watched the LSU and Virginia Tech games. I also watched the Vikings-Saints game with my two Louisiana friends--that was tough. This weekend a few of us interns are helping out at a co-workers' church retreat with childcare, so I get to spend two mornings with 9 adorable preschoolers! I'm also putting together my portfolio for graduate school applications and getting a started on those.
We're now VT fans!

Prayer Request:

-We are still looking for a Civil Engineer for our project trip, which is delaying our purchase of tickets. Please pray for continued provision for these details to be worked out so we can still be in Sudan at the beginning of October as planned. (If we delay the trip, we may not be able to meet with the ministry leader there, which would be difficult)

No comments:

Post a Comment