From August 15 - December 15, 2010, I will be working as an architecture intern with Engineering Ministries International in Colorado Springs, CO. I will be helping to design a girls orphanage in Sudan, so I have the great opportunity to travel to Juba, Sudan for a couple weeks to work on the project there too! I'm so excited for this big adventure that God has me on for these next few months and I've created this blog to share that excitement with you! Thanks so much for visiting, your encouragement and support is always appreciated!

Thursday, October 28, 2010

Before I leave Cairo

It's my last day in Cairo and I had the day off of work to pack and get some last minute shopping in with Beth. I was nervous that I would have WAY too much stuff to bring back to the states but thankfully, I've left things I brought in every country I've been to so far so my bag is actually a little lighter now than when I arrived! So, between now and the church event I'm going to tonight, I figured I would get another update about Cairo posted since I've had a second week here to process my experience even more.

Last week, my first week here, turned out to be a really challenging week. Halfway through the week I was hit with travel fatigue and tired every day no matter how much sleep I got. To add to that, it was HOT here. I remember one day it was 40 degrees Celsius here when it was 40 degrees Fahrenheit in Minneapolis. I was not raised to be used to 100-degree F weather in the middle of October! Along with that, I was experiencing culture shock more than I have in my past travels and in a different way. Just about everything made me want to cry---that's definitely a sign of culture shock (combined with tiredness and heat)! I was surprised that I was experiencing culture shock here in Cairo rather than in Sudan, but reflecting on it more it made sense. I was prepared to be in a completely different world in Sudan, and I was ready to be surrounding by things that were unfamiliar to me. Then I arrived in Cairo and finally I was in a city again, and one that looked like others that I've been to (in Athens or Belgrade, for example). But that was the kicker--because it looked familiar I expected to understand it and be more comfortable here, but that wasn't the case. Cairo is unlike any city I've ever been to; it's the Middle East. Social interactions are entirely different here, especially as a woman. Most people don't speak English, not even taxi drivers. And it's obvious I'm a foreigner so I always feel watched, but not in a good way (this may also come back to the fact that I am a woman). Needless to say, all those things added together hit me hard and at one point I really just wanted to leave Cairo.


Woody, Sara & I out to eat with Egyptian friends
 

Thankfully, the weekend came and brought some distractions and more rest. My friend and former classmate, Woody, is working in Cyprus this year and he came down to Cairo for the weekend for some sight-seeing.We met up with Sara and tooled around downtown Cairo for a bit. We went to the Egyptian museum, a boat ride on the Nile, and got some excellent fatta (fet-ta) and mulukhiyah (mull-a-hee-ah) with some Egyptian friends. On Saturday, we did Race for the Cure at the Pyramids with my friends here in Cairo. THAT was quite the experience!! The run was short, but right around the pyramids and sphinx--definitely something I'll never forget! Not to mention the fact that there were 12,000 people there, most running off-road (aka in the desert) while giant tour buses drove UP the road. In the states, an event like this would shut down the road that was being run on, as well as half a city block around the entire area surrounding the event. Not in Egypt! It was a typical tour day at the Pyramids so the race "shared the road" with the streams of tour buses and taxis. At the end was a giant party by the sphinx. Arabic music and dancing and eating, and  A LOT of pink hijabs!! I rode a camel while I was there, too. The weekend ended up being great, and my friends and the getting out really helped me get out of the culture shock slump from the week before.


The craziness that was Race for the Cure @ the Pyramids
 
Now, this past week has been great. I'm much more used to the cat-calls and staring that I get every time I leave the apartment, so it doesn't bug me as much. I've learned a little more Arabic and recognize where I am more in Heliopolis, so I feel more comfortable getting around. I've been getting a lot done for the ministry we worked with in Sudan. I've been putting together a brochure about our project for the ministry to take back to the states. When I get back to the states, I'll pretty much be doing ACAD non-stop. Getting all the drawings ready for the final report, which we hope to have done by the end of my internship in December Insha'Allah (God Willing, in Arabic). I'll also be busy working on grad school applications in my free time. I'm trying not to let the thought of how much work I have to do on those get me more anxious and stressed here than I already am!

Another thing that has really been a great stress release here is Zumba. My friend, Jessy, is an instructor here at a really great womens' gym. Zumba is an aerobics class that uses dance moves to keep you moving and your energy up, making aerobics fun! Since I love to dance, I LOVE this. I've been to a couple zumba classes in the states, but they vary from instructor to instructor. Jessy, originally from Costa Rica, is an amazing dancer so the moves are fun but I definitely get a work out too. The women that go get really into it and it's pretty fun seeing them let loose in the class, and then clean up, cover up, and leave the gym very conservative and reserved. The gym has really welcoming, comfortable atmosphere where women can feel free to let loose, hang out, and shoot the breeze like the men do at street cafes all the time. It was good for me to spend time here because it helped me see that women in Egypt do have the freedom to be who they want to be and be less reserved, it just happens in private more than in public. The private realm is the woman's realm, the public is the man's. What a different culture this is.
Also, the other day Beth and I went on a run early in the morning right by my apartment. Running outside in Cairo only happens in the morning, in only a few places in the city (parks only) and mostly by men. But, occasionally a few women will go out--at like 6 or 6:30. So, I've only gotten to run once here, and it was still VERY hot.

Unfortunately, my computer has a virus I think. I was warned this might happen while I was in Africa, so I was prepared. Mainly, things are being uninstalled from my computer--like my device installer and my wireless/network adapter. SO, if I got on a wireless network early in my trip (like this one) I can still get on, but now my computer doesn't recognize any new networks--in fact, the "view wireless networks" option in my control panel has completely disappeared. And, I can't upload pictures from my camera anymore. It just doesn't give me an option to upload them anymore.  :/




Sphinx & Pyramids, Giza, Egypt
 

No comments:

Post a Comment